Jason Marsh, hold on to your blueberries!
My girls 8th birthday and she requested a LEMON CAKE. Lemon requests are common in this household…just not on chicken piccata (learned that the hard way and wasted way). Yet the creation was delayed due to a large Suzy’s cake red velvet sitting on the kitchen counter. So after devouring one to many slices for myself, I decided instead of a yummy cake…why don’t we make breakfast muffins!
Sammy agreed, and then after further convincing approved a blueberry-lemon combination. When I came across the original Jordan Marsh’s FAMOUS department store recipe, I had to have a go. Except due to the promises in regards to L E M O N, I knew the lemon had to be a key player.
I also hired my birthday girl to put this recipe together and I am glad I did. I love cleaning up bigger messes and taking 2x longer to finish….regardless, I do love any effort to create (even when the messes come).
BlueBerry & Lemon (Twist on Jordan Marsh's Famous Recipe)
- muffin tin
- Electric Mixer
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened for 30 mins
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest 2-3 Lemons
- 2 Cups Blueberries 1/2 Cup Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with liners and grease the papers.
- Using an electric mixer, add the softened butter and beat 10 seconds. Add sugar and combine till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time till well combined then add vanilla.
- Shift baking powder, salt and flour. Alternatively add dry mixture and milk to the wet ingredients. Beating gently until combined.
- Mash 1/2 cup blueberries, then fold mashed, full blueberries and lemon zest into mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. I used a 1/4 cup muffin scoop (also my ice cream scoop!)
- Sprinkle granulated sugar generously onto each muffin if desired. GO FOR IT!
- Bake muffins for 28-32 minutes until they are golden on top and test with toothpick in the middle of the muffins.
- Remove muffins from tins as soon as done and transfer to cooling rack