Video Clip! Watch this 5-minute video clip to get a great overview of our Be Smart, Eat Right nutrition workshop for elementary-school kids.
Today we are in a war—a war for the nutritional health of our children. Obesity, A.D.D., Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer are rising significantly among our children and youth. The Center for Disease Prevention is predicting that this generation may be the only generation in modern history where the kids may not outlive their parents. Dr. David Katz from Yale University predicts that if this trend continues, there will be more premature deaths from poor eating, obesity and lack of activity among our youth than from smoking, drugs and alcohol combined. This is frightening news! We have to wake up and do something about this growing health problem among our kids.
- About 25% to 50% of our children are overweight or obese in the United States.
- Over 6 million kids are seriously overweight and this number is increasing.
- 40 million American children have abnormally high cholesterol levels.
- By age 3, children have fatty deposits in their arteries.
- By the age 12, 70% have developed beginning stages of hardening of the arteries.
- In the last 20 years, Type 2 diabetes has increased 10-fold.
- Over 8 million children have asthma, up 232% in the last 40 years.
- Cancer kills more children than any other disease.
- 90% of the “food” eaten in America is processed.
- Americans spend more money on fast food than on higher education.
- 1st generation where water is not beverage of choice.
- Average American consumes the equivalent of a 5 lb. bag of sugar per week.
- Less than 7% of children and adolescents consume the recommended 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables per day.